Big Data Analyst
- Program Highlights
- Program Objective
- Program Fee
- Schedule and Registration
Schedule and Registration
The course commences on March, 2016 and classes will be held over Saturdays (second half) and Sundays (first half). The class can accommodate a maximum of 40 students and registration for the course will be conducted strictly on a ‘first-come-first-served’ basis.
The classes would be delivered out of Praxis city office at Hungerford Street (near Minto Park).
Interested candidates need to fill in the information form and we would be able to connect with you with registration details. Confirmation of admission will be basis an interaction session with a Praxis faculty member.
Global standard in content and pedagogy: Wiley brings to the program global standards in content and pedagogy, access to real world data-sets and technology platforms for lab-work, and skilfully designed capstone projects, thus enabling a rigorous ‘learning by doing’ ecosystem for the students.
Superior in-class delivery: Praxis provides a faculty team with proven expertise in program delivery, as well as a deep understanding of the business context in which big data analytics is applied, thus ensuring an application-oriented learning for the class.
The Wiley International certification: Wiley offers the participants of the program the option of earning a global certification offered by the Examination Board of the Wiley IT Certification Institute, USA. This will be offered to students who opt for and clear the Wiley Certified Big Data Analyst (WCBDA) certification examination, which will be administered at the end of the program.
The course will be delivered by an exceptional faculty team with superior academic pedigree and relevant industry experience. The core faculty comprises the following:
Dr. Prithwis Mukerjee (B. Tech, IIT KGP; MS and PhD; Univ of Texas at Dallas, USA)
Past: Partner, PwC: Global Delivery Head, East (IBM); Professor, VG SOM (IIT KGP)
Charanpreet Singh (B. Tech, IIT Kanpur; MBA, Univ of Iowa USA; Chevening Scholar)
Past: Country Manager, Marketing, Hewlett Packard
Jaydeep Mukherjee (B.Tech. IIT, Kharagpur; MS, ISI)
Past: Partner, PwC
Prasenjit Das Purkayastha (M. Sc JU; PGDM, GIM)
Past: Director, IMRB International; Vice President, A. C. Nielsen.
Subhasis Dasgupta (B. Tech, NIT Surat; MBA, IBS)
Pursuing PhD in Analytics
Praxis Placement Program
Wrox Certified Big Data Analyst Program (WCBDA) – Advanced Course (including Hadoop and Domain Analytics)
A 16-week comprehensive weekend program designed to address the community of working professionals who are keen to equip themselves with the skills of a data scientist but are not in a position to take a career break.
Praxis offers a one-year full-time course in Business Analytics, with knowledge partner ICICI Bank and knowledge support from PwC. The program has received a lot of traction from the students and industry alike, with our students finding exciting career opportunities in organizations like PwC, ICICI Bank, Fidelity, Target, iCreate, ValueLabs, Abzooba etc. Encouraged by the response, and to address the community of working professionals who are keen to equip themselves with the skills of a data scientist but are not in a position to take a career break, Praxis has decided to offer an intense week-end program in Business Analytics which will be offered from the city campus at Hungerford Street near Minto Park, Kolkata.
What is Big Data Analytics?
Big Data Analytics refers to the skills, practices and techniques used in converting large volumes of structured, semi-structured and unstructured data into actionable insights that aid strategic, operational and tactical decision making across industry verticals such as Banking, Financial Services, Telecom, Manufacturing, Retail etc.
Data Scientist – the sexiest job in the 21st century – HBR, October 2012.
Big Data analytics is the fastest growing discipline across the globe, resulting in an ever accelerating demand for analytics professionals, also called Data Scientists. By 2018, the US could face a shortage of 140,000 to 190,000 people with deep analytical skills as well as 1.5 million managers with the know-how to use the analysis to make effective decisions; India alone will face a shortage of 200,000 analytics professionals (McKinsey 2011)
Who is a Data Scientist?
- Skills: data analysis, programming, statistics, machine learning, probability, and effective communication.
- Ability: learn quickly, ask the right questions,extract useful and valid insights about Data and communicate the findings in an effective manner.
- Versatility: combine the skills of a programmer, a statistician and a business manager.
Wiley India Pvt. Ltd. is the Indian subsidiary of John Wiley & Sons, Inc., a global provider of knowledge and knowledge-enabled solutions that improve outcomes in research, professional practice, and education. Wiley has been a valued source of information and understanding for more than 200 years. Through the Research segment, the Company provides digital and print scientific, technical, medical, and scholarly journals, reference works, books, database services, and advertising. The Professional Development segment provides digital and print books, online assessments, training services, test prep and certification. In Education, Wiley provides education solutions including online program management services for higher education institutions and course management tools for instructors and students, as well as print and digital content. For more information, please visit, www.wiley.com
The program is aimed at enabling the participant to develop
- Deep understanding of technical infrastructure for managing Big Data
- Skills to handle the entire data analytics life cycle
- Ability to identify business problems and present insights through visualization skills
On completion of the program, the participant should be able to
- Appreciate the Potential of Data
- Plan a Big Data Eco-System
- Source and Describe Data
- Manipulate and Process Data
- Build Data Models
- Visualize and present insights
- Apply insights to solve business problems across industry verticals
Big Data Overview
- Big Data and Big Data Applications
- Managing a Big Data Ecosystem
- Hadoop, HBase, Hive, MapReduce
- Big Data and Analytics
Analytics with R and SAS
- Exploring and analyzing Data using R
- Exploring and analyzing Data using SAS
- Descriptive, Inferential and Predictive Statistics
- Data Mining and Machine Learning
Big Data Analytics and Visualization
- Social Media Analytics and Text Mining
- Data Visualization with Tableau
- Printed Study Guides from Wiley
- Printed Lab Handbook – with lab exercises for each lab session
- Some additional Pre-read documents in PDF formats
- PowerPoint Slides for each session
- Virtual Lab environment along with data and lab exercises
- Big Data Ecosystem with single node Hadoop + Hive and HBase installed
- Analytics with R, with single node Hadoop and R, RStudio installed
- A project document on Analytics with R. One sample project solved with project phases and steps explained, and 2 project topics. We also encourage students to find a project problem topic of their own choice beyond the two given with courseware, and find a solution to the project problem as per the project phases given, and finally prepare the documentation accordingly for the instructor to evaluate.
Area Of Concentration
|Payment Schedule||Within 7 days of Selection||At the start of the classes||After completion of 8 weeks|
|Admission Confirmation Fee||10000|
|Total Program Fee||60000|
Taxes: Taxes, such as Service Tax as applicable, are to be paid by the participant.
Refunds: After admission the entire amount paid by the student shall stand forfeited except the refundable deposit mentioned above. This applies to dismissals as well as withdrawals, voluntary or otherwise, from the institute’s rolls.
Laptop: Each student must have a wi-fi enabled personal laptop before the start of classes.
Disputes: Any disputes are subject to the jurisdiction of Kolkata courts only.
Eligibility – and who should register for this course?
This is a post-graduate course and targeted towards working professionals with 2-5 years’ experience in IT, operations. finance etc. However, graduates with less or no work experience, but with a sound academic background and comfort with mathematics and computer programming are welcome to join. Students who are ill at ease with the world of numbers or are uncomfortable with coding may not be able to derive the full benefits of this course.
If you understand the massive opportunity that the domain of analytics offers globally; if you want to liberate your career from what could become repetitious and mundane; if you want to leverage the next big thing that lies at the crossroads of business and technology and propel your career forward – you should register for this course.
The 16 weekend Wrox Certified Big Data Analyst program is offered over Saturdays and Sundays from the Praxis city campus at 3rd Floor, IMS House, 10 D, Hungerford Street, Kolkata – 700019